Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning Manager
Location: Chiang Mai, Thailand
Position Title: Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning Manager
Location: Chiang Mai, Thailand
Reports To: Regional Director in Thailand
Application Deadline: 2 August 2020
Start Date: September 2020
EarthRights International (EarthRights) is a non-governmental, non-profit organization that combines the power of law and the power of people in defense of human rights and the environment, which we define as “earth rights.” A key part of who we are organizationally is our three-pronged approach to making change: training of community and legal activists, strategic legal work in defense of human rights and demanding corporate accountability, and campaigns to promote systemic governmental and corporate policy change. Our work focuses on climate justice and accountability, earth rights defenders, and corporate accountability.
Reporting to the Regional Director, the role of the Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning (MEL) Manager position is to oversee the development, implementation, and refinement of a comprehensive monitoring, evaluation and learning system, assess program impacts and successes of activities and performance at all levels. This position also plays a critical role in the annual planning process at EarthRights by ensuring program staff have the tools and knowledge they need to develop their annual plans. The MEL Manager will work closely with the Senior Manager of Programs and Global Grants to implement EarthRights’ MEL Plan and provide training to staff on key MEL functions. They will also work collaboratively with the development department on grant proposals and reports and will organize regular internal and external learning events.
Roles and Responsibilities
- Work with the program management team and build the culture of adaptive management, evidence and learning in and supporting better overall performance of the teams.
- Build the capacity of all relevant team members to develop and maintain an excellent M&E system, undertake regular reflection and analysis of program monitoring data to disseminate learning.
- Responsible for providing technical assistance, developing and setting up systems for the timely collection, management, analysis, and reporting of valid and reliable data that meet reporting requirements and which go beyond descriptive reporting and indicator-centric processes and focuses more on learning.
- Ensure high-quality implementation of the MEL Plan and MEL activities and consistency in protocols, information and reporting systems.
- Develop a system for data collection for program teams and monitor the flow of data and information for the programs to ensure accurate and timely data collection, analysis, and reporting of program performance results meet expectations.
- Ensure relevant data is entered into the organization wide data management system. Ensure quality of data through data verification procedures, including routine data quality checks.
- Lead the program teams in the analysis of results to provide clear and accurate conclusions and recommendations to project staff and stakeholders to guide decision-making. Report results of MEL activities internally and externally and document progress toward achieving indicators/targets, as appropriate.
- Lead on program reviews and support program teams with MEL learning systems which directly inform program managers and enable iterative improvements to program implementation.
- Develop high-impact data visualizations to promote analysis and organizational learning.
- Provide guidance, recommendations, and leadership to ensure that the MEL systems and plans meet the needs of program leads and leadership.
- Contribute to program design to ensure adherence to EarthRights standards, including documentation methodologies, as well as quality indicators that support program management.
- Lead on and conduct evaluations and research, including design, data collection, management and analysis. Design and implement research and data practices that fully engage with communities EarthRights works with.
- Co-Lead the annual planning sessions, ensure all templates are organized and ready to use.
- Create visual result based frameworks/log-frames with program staff of campaign and case plans each year after annual planning sessions, and support staff to keep them updated as changes occur.
- Work with program staff to effectively incorporate gender mainstreaming into their plans and strategies.
- Collaborate with the development department to write grant proposals and reports.
- Provide guidance on information systems for quality assurance, as well as best practices for documentation and reporting.
- Oversee the publication and dissemination of information on successful and promising approaches, lessons learned and other program results to program partners, donors, communities, other key stakeholders.
- Manage monthly staff meeting note completion. Supervise staff as assigned, including providing regular professional support and guidance.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Qualifications and Experience
- BA/S or equivalent, preferable in or international development, human and environmental rights.
- Minimum of 5 years of experience in the areas of program development and monitoring and evaluation, including relevant experience building and managing a MEL system and team, relevant experience supervising data collection and data validation, and building staff capacity
- Strong skills using MS Excel Word, PowerPoint and Access, (data management software program SPSS, desired) and experience training others in its use is highly desirable.
- Strong ability to analyze qualitative and quantitative data and excellent writing and documentation skills to generate different communications products including reports, briefs, success stories and articles.
- Demonstrated experience in coordinating monitoring, learning, and evaluation processes across multiple programs/activities, stakeholders and geographic regions.
- Demonstrated experience with monitoring and evaluation tools/approaches/practices, including data analysis and report writing, that emphasize results and impacts.
- Experience creating and analyzing surveys.
- Experience in proposal writing and grant reporting.
- Knowledgeable about the type and depth of data and information that is required for large foundation and government grants.
- Strong attention to detail, self-directed and highly responsible.
- Experience working in a multicultural setting.
- Commitment to participatory processes.
- High degree of proficiency in written and spoken English communication, including presentation and training skills
- Master’s degree.
- Participatory research experience or training.
- Qualitative data analysis.
- Experience in training and facilitation.
- Ability to speak Thai, Burmese, Khmer or Vietnamese.
How to Apply
Interested candidates should email their cover letter describing their interest in the position along with a CV to the following email address email@example.com by 2 August, 2020. Be sure to use “MEL Manager” as your subject line when submitting application materials.
Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
EarthRights International is an equal opportunity employer that does not discriminate in its hiring practices, and actively encourages people of color, women, people with disabilities, and LGBTQI people to apply.