Mekong Legal Network (MLN) Development Coordinator
Position title: Mekong Legal Network (MLN) Development Coordinator
Location: Chiang Mai, Thailand
Reports to: Mekong Legal Director (dotted line to the MLN Chairperson)
Start Date: March 2019
Duration: Until July 2020 (possibility of renewal)
EarthRights International (ERI) is a non-governmental, non-profit organization that combines the power of law and the power of people in defense of human rights and the environment, which we define as “earth rights.” We specialize in fact-finding, legal actions, training of grassroots and community leaders, and advocacy campaigns. ERI seeks to defend earth rights by working closely with communities to find real solutions that promote and protect human rights and the environment.
ERI’s Mekong Legal Program supports the Mekong Legal Network (MLN), an independent group of experienced legal professionals and civil society leaders from the Mekong region. The MLN has undergone a period of targeted member recruitment and growth where ERI is now looking to support its members and their organizations in strengthening the Network’s profile, funding model, coordination and overall governance. The goal is for MLN to become a fully autonomous and independently-funded platform for community legal advocates in the Mekong.
Summary of position
Initially reporting to the Mekong Legal Director and with strong working relationship with the MLN Chair, the purpose of the MLN Development Coordinator position is to facilitate the development and organizational strengthening of MLN as an independent institution. The role will directly support capacity-building for Network members in order to identify and apply for funding opportunities regardingstrategic joint initiatives. The role also supports general Network coordination, meetings, and the functions of the MLN Chair and MLN Coordinator roles.
The role will specifically assistin the identification and development of grant proposals (including the creation of log frames), coordination and composition of grant reports, and communication with funders for the MLN member organizations regarding joint initiatives. The role will promote networking and partnership opportunities in order to build the Network’s profile at the community, national and regional level within the Mekong and internationally.
Roles and responsibilities
- Support the identification and development of grant applications and fundraising for the MLN, both in terms of joint projects by the members as well as for the existing MLN support roles to help build the Network’s organizational capacity and funding autonomy.
- Support small grant writing and reporting to donors of MLN member organizations as needed and ensure MLN organizations key staff and relevant partners have a clear understanding of grant requirements and expectations.
- Draft content based on updates from members to be sent to donors, foundations and ERI.
- Strengthen systems of documentation, information storage and dissemination amongst the Network members to ensure timely and accurate records of the MLN organization and its development are kept to be used for building its institutional governance and autonomy.
- Facilitate the updating and amendment of MLN functional/organizational policies as needed and agreed by the Network and ERI.
- Supportstoring and maintaining key MLN information and documents and track funder requirements and work with MLN members to ensure their timely completion.
- Work with the Development Teams in South East Asia, to prepare timely narrative and financial reports to submit to funders and update ERI’s records.
- Lead the coordination of the Network in preparation for, during and follow up from the implementation of twice-yearly meetings that ERI currently funds and organizes.
- Facilitate online and in-person MLN meetings through emails, online platforms, organizing events in-person and through web platforms.
- Support the MLN Chair and MLN Coordinator roles in the coordination of all communications externally and within the MLN and with ERI.
- Support the MLN Chair and MLN Coordinator to help members implement the activities under the MLN workplan and other initiatives as agreed by the MLN members.
- Identify opportunities for partnerships and strategic alliances for the Network aligned with organizational and programmatic priorities and joint projects for the MLN members.
- Drive processes and coordinate profile-building and external communications including development of a MLN website to showcase the MLN members and their joint projects;
- Work with the Mekong Legal Director and Southeast Asia Development Team to coordinate major donor tours or other development-related trips.
Required Skills and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in relevant field and/or at least 2 years of relevant experience related to any training, mentoring, or capacity-building position with community organizations.
- Demonstrated record of working collaboratively with grassroots community movements and international NGOs to build strategic relationships and grow complex networks.
- Experience fosteringnetwork dialoguesto build consensus and reach common goals, including coordinating the planning and logistics for network events and exchanges.
- Experience developingstrategic relationships with funders/partners and managing large donor grants, including proposal/report writing and arranging logistics for donor visits.
- Background in environment and human rights and/or Southeast Asiancommunity work.
- Professional-level English writing skills are mandatory.
- Excellent presentation and cross-cultural communication skills, including experience working with diverse stakeholders from across Southeast Asia and Western countries.
- Strong computer skills, especially in Microsoft Office, and in developing surveys (ie Survey Monkey), creating databases, and using data management tools or platforms.
- Ability to organize, categorize and synthesize diverse information from a range of sources to create compelling fundraising content, donor reports and profile-building materials. Attention to detail.
- Ability to work both independently and in a team, both in person and via distance to plan and manage multiple competing tasks simultaneously in order to meet tight deadlines.
- Demonstrated gender sensitivity.
- Proficiency in more than one national language: Thai/Lao, Burmese, Vietnamese, Khmer.
- Legal background and/or demonstrated understanding of legal empowerment strategies and community lawyering, particularly within the Southeast Asian regional context.
- Demonstrated experience and understanding of the complexities and security demands of implementing projects in sensitive political contexts.
Interested candidates should email their cover letter describing their interest in the job, a short writing-sample of no more than four pages and their CV quoting “MLN Development Coordinator” to the following email address [email protected] by 22 February 2019.
Thereafter, applications will be considered on a rolling basis until the position is filled. Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. Applicants from Mekong countries: Thailand, Myanmar, Cambodia, Vietnam, Laos are highly encouraged to apply.