Myanmar Program Manager
Location: Yangon, Myanmar
Position: Myanmar Program Manager
Location: Yangon, Myanmar
Reports To: Myanmar Program Director
Application Deadline: May 12, 2020 (Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis)
EarthRights International (EarthRights) is a non-governmental, non-profit organization that combines the power of law and the power of people in defense of human rights and the environment, which we define as “earth rights.” A key part of who we are organizationally is our three-pronged approach to making change: training of community and legal activists, strategic legal work in defense of human rights and demanding corporate accountability, and campaigns to promote systemic governmental and corporate policy change. Our work focuses on climate justice and accountability, earth rights defenders and corporate accountability.
Reporting to the Mekong Program Director, the Myanmar Program Manager provides direct support to ensure the smooth implementation of current programs.. This position will be working closely with the program teams and supporting them to implement and report on projects and coordinate planning of project deliverables. This position will play a role in the budgeting process, supporting forecasting and accounting for spending, and developing new budgets. The Program Manager will be based in Yangon with frequent travels to the field areas.
Roles and Responsibilities
- Responsible for overseeing the planning and implementing of country projects and activities including legal and campaign elements.
- Ensure that all Myanmar office projects are delivered on time, to agreed budgets and to the highest standards. This may include input into the design of projects; contracting freelancers for short-term work; supporting country teams to establish suitable procedures; follow up on legal or procurement issues; monitoring the delivery of projects in country against agreed objectives and the work plan, evaluating programs impact, and representing the project or country teams internally and to donors.
- Support the Myanmar Program Director in ensuring that all projects in development adhere to EarthRights International policies and procedures.
- Supervise and manage the Myanmar Campaign Coordinator and Legal Coordinator.
- Provide mentoring support to program teams and work closely with monitoring, evaluation and learning (MEL) colleagues and ensure that evaluation findings are incorporated into project implementation.
- Assist the Myanmar Program Director and the Myanmar Operations Manager in designing budgets which are realistic, feasible, and adhere to EarthRights and donor requirements.
- Review financial and narrative reporting to donors in support of country teams and for internal reporting.
- Contribute to the review and sign off on program communication materials produced. Coordinate regular program and project reviews to monitor quality.
- Contribute to knowledge sharing and policy development across the organisation.
- Represent EarthRights externally as required by the Myanmar Program Director.
- Provide clear guidance and allocate responsibilities to direct reports as required, including task oversight, individual work plans, professional development and performance management.
- Support the integration of gender and social inclusion into all program work.
- Responsible for team communication and coordination, including regular reporting, meetings and sharing information.
Qualifications and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in relevant field and/or at least 5 years of relevant experience with human rights, environmental rights preferred.
- Proven experience managing and leading programs, including planning and delivery of activities, risk management, financial management, budgeting, networking, monitoring, evaluation and learning etc.
- Proven experience using campaign and legal strategies to demand corporate accountability, including sound understanding of business and human rights concepts.
- Demonstrated understanding of the context of Myanmar and its relevance and relationship in the wider context of Southeast Asia.
- Ability to research, analyze and respond to emerging contexts and trends.
- Experiences in resource mobilization and donor relationship management.
- Demonstrated record of working in the development sector collaboratively with grassroots community movements, organizations, and international NGOs.
- Background in environment and human rights and/or community organizing in Southeast Asia.
- Excellent cross-cultural communication skills, including experience working with diverse groups of people, especially from across Southeast Asia.
- Strong computer skills, and digital skills especially in Microsoft Office.
- Ability to work both independently and in a team to plan and manage multiple competing tasks simultaneously in order to meet tight deadlines.
- Fluent in English and Burmese and knowledge of ethnic language(s) preferred.
- Demonstrated understanding of gender and social inclusion issues in Myanmar and how to integrate them in development approaches.
How To Apply
Interested candidates should email their cover letter describing their interest in the job along with a CV to the following email address [email protected] by May 12, 2020. Be sure to use “Myanmar Program Manager” as your subject line when submitting your application materials.
Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
EarthRights International is an equal opportunity employer that does not discriminate in its hiring practices, and actively encourages people of color, women, people with disabilities, and LGBTQI people to apply.