Mekong Development Officer
Location: Chiang Mai, Thailand
Position Title: Development Officer, Mekong
Location: Chiang Mai, Thailand
Reports To: Senior Development Officer & Mekong Regional Director
Application Deadline: Accepting Rolling Applications
Travel: Travel in the region will be required.
The Development Officer will manage funding relationships and grants writing process that support the EarthRights International Mekong and Myanmar programs. This will include the development, cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship of a pipeline of funders in the region. This position will work closely with EarthRights’s global Development Team based in Washington, DC and will support the Regional Director (RD) in establishing and implementing a regional funding strategy for the Mekong and Myanmar program.
Roles and Responsibilities
Pipeline Development and Donor Cultivation
- Through regular research, identify, and develop new funding opportunities for EarthRights’ regional and country based work that align with organizational and programmatic priorities.
- Develop and implement a donor engagement plan and support the Senior Leadership Team, including the Executive, Deputy, and Regional Directors and other program staff during funder meetings and engagement trips.
- Participate in annual planning and monitoring to ensure grant outcomes are aligned with program goals.
Grant Writing and Reporting
- Manage all aspects of soliciting the grant fundraising cycle including relationship cultivation, proposal development, agreement, reporting, stewardship, and close out.
- Develop and write concept notes and proposals in coordination with Program and Monitoring and Evaluation teams.
- Work with the Finance Teams to prepare budgets and financial reports according to funder requirements.
- Coordinate reporting processes for all Mekong program grants. Write impressive annual reports for funders and ensure all reports are developed and submitted on time.
- Work closely with Program, Finance, MEL teams, ensuring EarthRights accountability on donor compliance requirements and that proposals and MEL systems are properly aligned.
- Coordinate grant launch meetings or calls and ensure program teams understand agreement compliance.
- Manage grants to meet donor obligations and coordinate closely with the MEL team to monitor and evaluate grant funded programs and projects.
- Maintain regular communications, in line with the global Development strategy, with all donors in portfolio, ensuring they are kept up to date with EarthRights progress and informed of any challenges faced and how risks/incidents are dealt with.
- Support the Regional Development and other program teams to host donor visits. Coordinate logistics for meetings between funders and staff members.
- Draft content based on updates from staff to be sent to major donors and foundation contacts.
- Coordinate due diligence for applications, proposals, and donor audits.
- Understand donor policies, practices and strategic priorities and share with program teams to ensure understanding and compliance.
Collaboration with Global Development Team
- Update grant progress and record communication with funders in a Salesforce database.
- Contribute prospect research and donor relationship updates to the global Development Team to support the organization-wide development strategy.
- Assist with region-specific development campaigns (ex: scholarship funds, building-specific fundraising, etc), when necessary.
- Work closely with the Development and Communication teams to identify content to use for fundraising, including materials for individual donors and annual appeals.
- Work with directors and Development team to coordinate major donor tours and other development-related trips.
- Train EarthRights students, staff, and partners on fundraising and grant writing
- Prepare to take international calls outside of work hours.
Required Skills and Experience
- Professional-level English writing skills are mandatory
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent education
- Minimum four years’ experience in fundraising
- Demonstrated experience leading and producing high quality proposals and writing compelling and engaging content for funders and major donors
- Experience managing relationships with funders and managing donor contracts including US foundation, government, and institutional donors.
- Experience maintaining CRM systems and donor and grant databases
- Advanced skills in Microsoft Word, Excel and the Google platform
- Background in environment/human rights and/or SEA context
- Ability to synthesize disparate information from a variety of sources
- Skilled in organizing and categorizing data and information
- Ability to effectively communicate with people from a variety of backgrounds and cultures
- Ability to work under tight deadlines
- Self-motivated and highly responsible
- Able to work with teams in other cultures and time zones
- Experience with bilateral and multilateral funding preferred
- Experience living and working in a different cultural context; experience in Southeast Asia a plus
- Ability to speak Thai or other regional language
- Experience with Salesforce or other CRM software
- Knowledge of the Southeast Asia and/or environmental/human rights funding landscape
- Experience building the capacity of staff grant-writing and/or fundraising skills
How To Apply
Interested candidates should email their cover letter describing their interest in the job along with a CV to the following email address firstname.lastname@example.org. Be sure to use “Mekong Development Officer” as your subject line when submitting your application materials.
Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
EarthRights International is an equal opportunity employer that does not discriminate in its hiring practices, and actively encourages people of color, women, people with disabilities, and LGBTQI people to apply.