Global Human Rights Storyteller
Location: Washington, DC
Position Title: Global Human Rights Storyteller
Location: Washington, DC (occasional travel required in the post-COVID era)
Reports To: Communications Director
Application Deadline: April 7, 2021
EarthRights International, a non-governmental, non-profit organization that combines the power of law and the power of people in defense of human rights and the environment, seeks a Global Human Rights Storyteller to join our growing U.S. Communications Team. This position will be responsible for developing cutting edge-visual and written communications materials to elevate the stories of environmental and human rights defenders worldwide and support EarthRights’ overall visual communications needs.
Roles and Responsibilities
- Help conceive, create, and edit videos, including video-based training materials for human rights and land defenders.
- Create social media graphics, infographics, data visualizations, and other creative assets that amplify the challenges facing defenders and EarthRights’ impact for a global audience.
- Write blogs, fact sheets, and other materials amplifying the experiences of defenders to a global audience.
- Design institutional print and digital materials for EarthRights, such as research reports, fact sheets, annual reports, fundraising appeals, brochures, business cards, branded promotional materials, and other collateral.
- Photograph and film events and personal stories from environmental defenders in the U.S.
- Edit photographs and videos.
- Collaborate with our Mekong-based Visual Storyteller to improve and maintain the EarthRights photo library.
- Support efforts to redesign our website and Identify emerging design tactics and best practices and apply them to our work.
- Help apply branding standards across EarthRights digital feeds and other print and collateral materials.
- Liaise with vendors on print jobs.
- Support our internal communications by designing presentation materials and other visual communications assets.
- Collaborate across teams, particularly with members of the Campaigns and Development teams.
Required Qualifications and Experience
- Undergraduate degree in Graphic Design, Communications, English, or a related field
- At least 3-5 years of design and writing experience, preferably at a non-profit organization
- Mastery of Adobe Design Suite software programs
- Attention to detail and willingness to learn new skills
- Deadline-oriented and able to juggle multiple priorities
- A collaborative approach to work
- Knowledge of branding best practices
- Demonstrated interest in human rights and climate justice issues
Desired Qualifications and Experience
- Familiarity with current social media and digital platforms
- Proofreading proficiency
- Proficiency in Spanish
- United States (Required)
- Employer-sponsored medical insurance (dependent coverage available)
- 100% employer-paid dental and vision insurance coverage (dependent coverage available)
- 14 weeks paid maternity/paternity leave for eligible employees
- 15 days of vacation & 9 sick days per year
- 12 paid federal holidays; office closed from December 24 – January 1
- Flexible Spending Plan (FSA)
- Generous employer non-elective retirement contribution
- Employee wellness benefits and transportation benefits
- A casual environment
How to Apply
Interested candidates should email their cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org by April 7, 2021. Be sure to use “Global Human Rights Storyteller” as your subject line when submitting application materials. Please include a link to, or an attachment of, your portfolio or any design and writing samples.
Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
EarthRights International is an equal opportunity employer that does not discriminate in its hiring practices and actively encourages people of color, women, people with disabilities, and LGBTQI people to apply.