Location: Washington, DC
Position Title: Finance Associate
Location: Washington, DC
Reports To: Finance Director
Application Deadline: January 15, 2021
EarthRights International (ERI) is a nongovernmental, nonprofit organization that combines the power of law and the power of people in defense of human rights and the environment, which we define as “earth rights.” We specialize in fact-finding, legal actions, training of grassroots and community leaders, and advocacy campaigns. EarthRights International seeks to defend earth rights by working closely with communities to find real solutions that promote and protect human rights and the environment. We are currently seeking a Finance Associate to join our Finance team in Washington, DC.
The Finance Associate reports to the Finance Director who is ultimately responsible for the management of all accounting and financial matters of the organization. The associate is also responsible for maintaining records, implementing accounting controls, and developing reports to ensure the Finance Director is able to keep management updated regarding the financial condition of the organization, informed in a timely manner of any pending problems, and for recommending actions to ensure the financial security and integrity of the organization.
The Finance Associate will have regular interactions with staff at all levels of the organization and is responsible for working with internal accounting staff and/or management of an accounting service provider. The associate will also be responsible for understanding donor requirements and tools for compliance in coordination with the Development and Monitoring and Evaluation team. The position will begin as a 100% telework position until public health conditions permit returning to EarthRights DC office, which will not be prior to July 2021.
Roles and Responsibilities
- Enter invoices into QuickBooks on a weekly basis and reconcile monthly expense reports from our international offices.
- Monthly credit card reconciliations and assist with processing of payroll.
- Assist with preparation of wires and cash advances.
- Assist with funder compliance, including developing grant budgets and reports.
- Track and reconcile monthly expenses for certain grants with regular reporting.
- Process gifts (checks, credit card, pledges, stocks) in QuickBooks and Salesforce.
- Ensure internal control procedures are being followed (i.e. proper approval, procurement, etc.).
- Assist with annual budgeting process.
- Assist with annual preparation, review, distribution and filing of Form 1099.
- Provide support for annual organizational audit and From 990.
- Prepare and file annual state registration forms.
- Fill out deposit slips and depositing checks.
- Complete Quality Control of staff payment and reimbursement requests.
- Other finance and accounting duties as required.
- Attend monthly all-staff meetings and other meetings or calls as requested by the supervisor. Occasionally calls are afterhours to communicate with offices in Asia.
Qualifications and Experience
- 3-5 years of finance or accounting experience
- Experience with accounting software specifically QuickBooks
- Degree in accounting or finance preferred, or BA/BS or equivalent with certificate
- Proficient in MS Office, specifically Excel with ability to set up sheets and reports, and Salesforce
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail
- Bilingual in English/Spanish a plus
- United States (Required)
- Employer-sponsored medical insurance (dependent coverage available)
- 100% employer paid dental and vision insurance coverage (dependent coverage available)
- 14 weeks paid maternity/paternity leave for eligible employees
- 15 days of vacation & 9 sick days per year
- 12 paid federal holidays; office closed from December 24 – January 1
- Flexible Spending Plan (FSA)
- Generous employer non elective retirement contribution
- Employee wellness benefits and transportation benefits
- A casual and fun work environment
How to Apply
Interested candidates should email their cover letter and resume, describing their interest in the position to firstname.lastname@example.org by January 15, 2021. Be sure to use “Finance Associate” as your subject line when submitting application materials.
Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
EarthRights International is an equal opportunity employer that does not discriminate in its hiring practices, and actively encourages people of color, women, people with disabilities, and LGBTQI people to apply.