EarthRights International Board of Directors Treasurer (Volunteer)
Roles and Responsibilities
The treasurer will offer guidance to the Executive Director, Finance Director, and Senior Leadership Team in ensuring good fiscal planning, decision-making, and oversight at a governance level.
His/her principle duties are to:
• Oversee the development of high-level financial policies and their review by the board
• Assist in the preparation of the annual budget and its presentation to the board for review
• Ensure that the appropriate quarterly financial statements are reviewed by the board
• Ensure that the board regularly monitors the organization’s financial performance and alerts it to any important discrepancies between planned and actual figures
• Ensure that the organization maintains the appropriate financial books and records and that these are accurate and up-to-date
• Ensure that government tax filings and remittances are submitted on a timely basis
• Ensure that excess funds and reserves are properly held and invested
• Chairs investment committee and meets with investment adviser on a regular basis
• Meet with the external auditor annually, or more often if needed, to identify any financial control and record-keeping problems or deficiencies and oversee action by the Executive Director and SLT to address them
• Recommend to the board the need for a review or renewal of the auditing services provided
• Present or co-present the organization’s financial report and recommend appointment or reappointment of auditor at the Annual General Meeting
• Helps to keep the board informed of important financial events, trends, and issues relevant to the organization
• Chairs the Board of Directors Finance Committee
• Reviews budgets and reports submitted to the committee to make recommendations to the Board of Directors.
Board members’ term is 3 years with a limit of 2 terms. The EarthRights Board meets quarterly, with at least one annual in-person meeting (when possible).
If interested in joining the EarthRights Board of Directors’ Treasurer, please contact Laura Levine, Board Governance Chair: email@example.com