Development Communications Coordinator
Location: Washington, DC
Position Title: Development Communications Coordinator
Location: Washington, DC
Reports To: Senior Development Officer
Application Deadline: January 15, 2021
EarthRights International is a nongovernmental, nonprofit organization that combines the power of law and the power of people in defense of human rights and the environment, which we define as “earth rights.” We specialize in fact-finding, legal actions, training of grassroots and community leaders, and advocacy campaigns. EarthRights seeks to defend earth rights by working closely with communities to find real solutions that promote and protect human rights and the environment. We are currently seeking a Development Communications Coordinator to join our global Development team in Washington, D.C.
Reporting to the Senior Development Officer, the Development Communications Coordinator supports a broad range of fund development and communications activities for the organization including: developing communication materials to be shared with the philanthropic community; executing the digital fundraising strategy and bi-annual direct mail appeals; assisting with research, prospecting, cultivation, and stewardship for major donors; coordinating donor events and developing communications, proposal and grant report support; CRM database management; and conducting donor correspondence. Due to the global nature of our work, some afterhours or early morning calls will be expected of this position to coordinate with our teams in Asia. The position will begin as a 100% telework position until public health conditions permit returning to EarthRights DC office, which will not be prior to July 2021.
Roles and Responsibilities
Donor Communications Strategy Implementation
- With the Development Team lead, develop a donor communications strategy to build, cultivate, and steward relationships with foundations, government funders, and individual and major donors.
- Coordinate bi-annual reviews of organization-wide donor-facing materials, and update and edit donor-facing materials to highlight current organizational priorities and progress.
- Assist with drafting and designing quarterly progress updates to donors.
- Prepare presentations for meetings with foundation staff.
- Support the Communications team on preparing the Annual Report.
- Support the Communications team with live events (ie facebook or webinars) by engaging and communicating with donors.
Annual Fund Coordination
- Coordinate the annual fund designed by the Development and Communications teams to develop and execute a robust donor digital communications strategy to engage, convert, and upgrade email subscribers and current donors including, developing a monthly donor program and supporting the Year End campaign.
- Write weekly engagement and solicitation emails for targeted fundraising campaigns and solicitation emails associated with advocacy campaigns, coordinating with the Executive Director and program heads to develop content.
- Manage and utilize EveryAction to identify and set-up strategic engagement points and email series.
- With the Development and Communications teams, plan and execute two direct mail appeals a year.
- Coordinate and execute the acknowledgement letter process for donors and draft new letter text every 3 – 4 months.
- Respond to donor requests and inquiries over the phone and email.
- Conduct regular reporting on the Annual Fund.
- Contribute to strategy sessions and ensure best practices in individual fundraising are taking place among all units of the organization.
Major Donor Support
- Conduct prospect research and network mapping to support the Major Donor program.
- Put together communication materials and packets for major donor cultivation and solicitation.
- Process acknowledgement of major gifts in coordination with the Executive Director.
- Ensure appropriate stewardship of major donors is taking place.
CRM Database Management
- Manage two Development databases: Salesforce and EveryAction, ensuring up-to-date and clean data.
- Develop strategies with the Communications team to build our engagement lists.
- Ensure funder contact lists are constantly updated.
- Identify and develop appropriate reports for Annual Fund and institutional fundraising.
- Enter funder information and grant data into Salesforce CRM database.
Development Team Support
- Provide administrative support to the Development and Senior Leadership Teams’ fundraising activities.
- Take notes at Development and Communication team check-ins and distribute and track to-dos and tasks to staff and Senior Leadership Team.
- Ensure grant payments are made and acknowledged.
- Provide logistical and planning support to fundraising events.
- Support foundation fundraising by conducting prospect research and mapping, and copy editing grant reports and proposals.
- Maintain and update EarthRights profiles on Guidestar, Charity Navigator, Network For Good, and other giving platforms.
Qualifications and Experience
- Associate or Bachelors’ degree, or demonstrable work experience
- 3+ years experience in administrative, development, and/or communications role with a nonprofit organization or political campaign
- Outstanding written and verbal communication skills, including strong English grammar skills, editing, and proofreading
- Ability to demonstrate creativity in storytelling and understanding of communications to demonstrate impact
- Knowledge of best practices in individual fundraising
- Experience utilizing, managing, and maintaining CRM/donor databases such as Salesforce, EveryAction, or Raiser’s Edge
- Experience using email communication and advocacy software such as EveryAction, SalsaLabs, MailChimp, or Constant Contact.
- Proven ability to coordinate, implement, and evaluate complex internal processes and systems
- Proven ability to manage multiple projects at once, meet deadlines, and be flexible
- Self-starter, motivated, and self-disciplined
- Team player able to coordinate across cultural and geographical areas
- Demonstrated excellence in working collaboratively to achieve defined and measurable goals
- Commitment to human and environmental rights
- Proficient with Microsoft and Google suite of products, specifically Google Drive and Excel
- Spanish language skills a plus
- United States (Required)
- Employer-sponsored medical insurance (dependent coverage available)
- 100% employer paid dental and vision insurance coverage (dependent coverage available)
- 14 weeks paid maternity/paternity leave for eligible employees
- 15 days of vacation & 9 sick days per year
- 12 paid federal holidays; office closed from December 24 – January 1
- Flexible Spending Plan (FSA)
- Generous employer non elective retirement contribution
- Employee wellness benefits and transportation benefits
- A casual and fun work environment
How to Apply
Interested candidates should email their cover letter ,resume and one example of donor communications work you have produced in the past to email@example.com by January 15, 2021. Be sure to use “Development Communications Coordinator” as your subject line when submitting application materials.
Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
EarthRights International is an equal opportunity employer that does not discriminate in its hiring practices, and actively encourages people of color, women, people with disabilities, and LGBTQI people to apply.