Update from our friends, the U'wa Nation, who are mobilizing to ensure the environmental protection of one of their most important and sacred sites. Read more about the U'wa's struggle defending Zizuma.
PRESS RELEASE TO THE NATIONAL AND INTERNATIONAL PUBLIC
The U'wa Nation of the departments of Boyaca, Santander, Norte de Santander, Arauca and Casanare communicate to the national and international public that:
1. The Government has shown once again that environmental issues and the protection of Mother Earth are secondary on the agenda of the Ministry of the Environment. Proof of this is the absence of senior officials with decision-making power at the meeting scheduled for April 15 of 2016, in ASOU'WA facilities, as had been requested by the U'wa Nation.
2. We reiterate our willingness for dialogue and consultation with the National Government with the sole aim of safeguarding our sacred site Zizuma (NNPC) under the terms and conditions demanded by the U'wa Nation.
3. We reaffirm our position of the protection of our Mother Earth life. Therefore we will maintain our peaceful collective action in ZIZUMA, until the meeting with the National Government takes place.
4. We encourage the National Government-Ministry of Defence to refrain from any military action that endangers the physical and cultural integrity of our guards and the U’wa Nation, within the framework of our legitimate right to defend and protect the sacred U'wa territory Zizuma.
5. We clarify that at no time has the entry been limited for public security forces to Zizuma (NNPC), on the contrary, we invite the Colombia National Military – High Mountain Battalion General Santos Gutiérrez Prieto to coordinate and agree the safeguarding of Natural National Park Zizuma(NNPC).
ASOCIACIÓN DE AUTORIDADES TRADICIONALES Y CABILDOS U´WA ASOU´WA, ORIC, ASCATIDAR