Volunteer English Teacher with Karenni Social Development Center (KSDC)
Location: Ban Nai Soi, Mae Hong Son, Thailand
Duration: Minimum of 3 months, up to 40 hours/week.
Start date: 28th November 2014.
Organization Background: Karenni Social Development Center (KSDC) was established in 2002 by graduates of the Earthrights School Myanmar. The vision of the KSDC is to; promote the lives of the Karenni people who have suffered human rights abuses, promote non-violent efforts to build a new society, develop the rule of law, and protect the environment. The KSDC’s training program aims to spread knowledge and skills regarding human rights, environment and law on the Thai-Myanmar border.
Overview of Position: KSDC seeks a volunteer English teacher for 15 hours of English classes and 5 hours of conversation classes each week for two classes of 15 bright, ambitious Burmese students. The position also includes 15-20 hours of planning time and occasional writing and editing as needed.
- Plan and teach 3 hours of English lessons for 15 students, Monday through Friday (textbooks and other teaching materials are available)
- Lead 1 hour of English conversation with groups of 5 students, Monday through Friday
- Edit English language reports and proposals as requested by staff
- Native English Speaker
- University degree and TEFL certificate preferred
- One year of teaching experience preferred
- Genuine interest in Myanmar issues
- Comfortable living and working in a cross-cultural environment with non-native English speakers in very basic living conditions
- Hardworking and flexible
The ideal candidate is sociable and friendly with good listening and emotional support skills.
- Private room at the school with mattress, mosquito net, pillow and blankets
- Food: 3 home-cooked, rice-based meals per day
- Private bathing area with cold water
- Wireless internet
- Opportunity to learn about Karenni culture and traditions
- 2 week Christmas holiday
How to apply:
Please email KSDC at [email protected]. Find us on face book http://www.facebook.com/pages/Karenni-Social-Development-Center/326590647460577
Contact Person: Andy Smith