Monitoring, Evaluation & Learning Officer (Gender Focus)
Position Title: Monitoring, Evaluation & Learning Officer (Gender Focus)
Location: Yangon, Myanmar
Reports To: Monitoring, Evaluation & Learning Manager
Start Date: As soon as possible
Duration: One year (renewable)
Application Deadline: October 31, 2019
EarthRights International is a nongovernmental, nonprofit organization that combines the power of law and the power of people in defense of human rights and the environment, which we define as “earth rights.” We are currently seeking a Monitoring, Evaluation & Learning Officer, with previous experience on gender programs, to join our team. The post is based in Yangon, Myanmar, with regular travel throughout Myanmar and occasional travel in the Mekong region.
This position will play a key role on the Monitoring, Evaluation & Learning (MEL) team. Reporting to the Monitoring, Evaluation & Learning Manager, the MEL Officer will ensure that a gender focus is highlighted both at the program design as well as the monitoring, evaluation and learning phases in program areas that include climate justice, earth rights defenders, corporate accountability, and Local, Engagement, Action and Dialogue (LEAD). The officer will be supporting the MEL work of the EarthRights School program as a whole and will contribute to all initiatives that support program quality improvements/adjustments. A large proportion of the work will be to train, mentor, and build the capacity of staff on MEL plans, systems, and tools.
Roles and Responsibilities
- Support the design, development, and implementation of planning, monitoring and evaluation systems, frameworks, and tools, and ensure full gender integration in these.
- Support gender mainstreaming in all program areas.
- Build the capacity of staff on program planning, monitoring, evaluation, and learning.
- Support the drafting of evaluation reports, and documenting/sharing of best practices and lessons learned.
- Support the annual planning process and quarterly program reviews/evaluations.
- Gather, review, and analyze data for internal program monitoring and external donor reports. Ensure that all data is gender dis-aggregated and gender issues are fully highlighted for internal and external action and learning.
- Maintain database of program monitoring and evaluation data and tools.
- Manage survey implementation using Survey Monkey, including technical design, questionnaire development, data collection and entry, data analysis, and exporting files of survey results; coordinate with relevant staff as needed.
- Support the drafting of MEL guides including survey, interview and focus group discussion guides. Train data collectors for these.
- Conduct surveys, interviews and focus group discussions with program participants or partners as needed.
- Transcribe, code, analyze, and/or summarize qualitative and quantitative program data for M&E purposes as needed.
- Create data visualizations such as diagrams, graphs and infographics as needed.
- Foster cross-program learning among teams.
- Train teams and stakeholders in MEL methodology.
- Foster external learning opportunities with like-minded organizations and individuals.
- Travel to project sites as needed.
Required Skills and Experience
- Fluent in written and spoken English and Burmese
- At least two years of experience planning, implementing, monitoring, or evaluating programs
- At least two years of experience with Program/Project Cycle Management (PCM), program logic models and log-frames
- At least one year of experience with field-based qualitative research
- Relevant experience in any training, mentoring, or capacity-building position
- Experience working on environmental, human rights, development, gender programs
- Experience carrying out surveys, interviews, and focus group discussions
- Strong understanding and application of research methodologies and tools, especially qualitative research
- Strong analytical skills and the ability to articulate research findings in a clear and concise manner
- Strong training and mentoring skills
- Strong writing and reporting skills
- Track record of working collaboratively both with grassroots community movements and international NGOs
- Excellent cross-cultural communication skills, including experience working with colleagues from across Southeast Asia and Western countries
- Demonstrated gender sensitivity
- Organized and detail-oriented
- Data presentation skills using various data presentation tools
- Strong computer skills, especially in Microsoft Office, and in survey, database, and data management tools or platforms
- Experience with Survey Monkey, or the ability to independently learn web-based survey tools and platforms.
- Ability to work both independently and on a team
- Ability to manage multiple tasks simultaneously and meet deadlines
Desired Skills and Experience
- Degree in social science, systems management, evaluation methodology or related field
- At least one year of experience with quantitative research
- Ability to independently use – or learn to use – qualitative and quantitative data analysis software (e.g. for coding or basic statistics)
- Quick learner, open to new ideas and innovations
- Creative and critical thinking skills
How to Apply
Interested candidates should email their cover letter describing their interest in the position along with a CV to the following email address [email protected] by October 31, 2019. Be sure to use “MEL Officer Myanmar” as your subject line when submitting application materials.
Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.